Monday, September 14, 2009

Salerno style Spaghetti!


I have had my eye on this recipe for a while now but just made it for the first time tonight! It's simple and unglorified name is... Spaghetti with fried eggs and bread crumbs. It's fancy name is Salerno style Spaghetti!
I found the recipe in "The Best of America's Test Kitchen" from 2008 (found on page 124). I was impressed with myself, I actually followed the recipe all except for the amount of noodles I cooked (I didn't measure).
Here is the delightful Recipe (it's the basic outline of what the book says but not exactly)

2 slices high-quality sandwich bread
10 T oil (I didn't use nearly that much)
Salt and Pepper to taste
4 garlic cloves, minced (I used 5)
1/4 t. red pepper flakes
1 lb spaghetti
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
4 large eggs

1) Place bread in food processor and pulse til they are large crumbs. Toss with little oil just to coat, and salt and pepper. Spread evenly on baking sheet and bake at 375 til golden brown.
2) While that's baking, start a pot of boiling water (4 quarts and 1 T salt)
3) After the water is placed on stove coat frying pan with oil. When its hot add the garlic, red pepper flakes and salt. Cook on medium for about 5 mins (til garlic is bubbling)
4) Once water is boiling add noodles. Your bread crumbs should be about done so pull them out if they are ready.
5)Once your garlic is done, place it in small dish and throw your eggs into the pan.
6) Hope that your eggs and noodles are done at the same time!
7) Drain noodles, place back in pan and toss in garlic, bread crumbs and top with cheese and egg.


* Note: The leftovers are to die for!!!! *

No comments:

Post a Comment